Friday, March 11, 2011

Authentic Thai Peanut Sauce

 There is something about the things you
love in life that can bring you the
greatest joy and the most tears at the same time. 
 
This week, we (the hubs and I) have
embarked on the exciting path of
.....drum roll please....
Potty Training!
*ahem* The Tears 
Ba-da Bum!
 
One two many mornings of waking up to a soaking wet toddler.
A toddler who apparently gets a kick out of taking her diaper off.
A toddler who becomes hysterical from me taking her also very wet tag along (blankie)
to give her a dunk in the tub first thing before breakfast.
A toddler who has forced us to attempt the dreaded PT.
Now, mind you, I have done much research on the healthy ages of PT beginners
and I suppose the average age is 2-3yrs but Baby S, well, she is 19 months.
We've had a few bumps but her ever growing vocabulary
is now including "pee" and "poo" while patting her sweet little dora pull up.
She thinks she is such a big girl now...
We've also been working on the alphabet and numbers while focusing on how old she is.
She loves getting praised so much that when she does something right,
she follows up with, "Goo Gir", interpreting into "Good Girl".
 
Anywho! On the note of things I love....
here is one of my all time favorites!
THAI!
(wow, that was not a smooth transitition, sorry)
I could eat anything Thai for breakfast lunch and dinner if given the oppurtunity...
I have searched high and low for an amazing peanut sauce recipe that doesn't come with the overly processed after taste and while I did find a nice alternative, A TASTE OF THAI's Peanut Sauce Mix which is quite yummy, I think I just hit the nail on the head. I found an authentic recipe that when you make it, you'll will be waking up wanting it with your coffee. It's from Leela of SheSimmers and this is the first of many recipes of hers I want to try. It happens to be her mothers recipe who she writes about and will make you giggle to yourself as your hunger builds. Here a few photos of how mine turned out...
 

The Basic Ingredients: I found most of this at Whole Foods, the rest at any grocery store.



This is not the "brand" that Leela recommends
 but I was already at Whole Foods and decided to give this one a whirl.
 It turned out great, 
but I added an extra teaspoon of the Red Curry Paste for a little extra Umph...
I also gave it some kick with a teaspoon of Red Cayenne Pepper.
Seriousley, the sweet and spicy together is to die for!

The consistancy was just right!
How do you use this in real dishes you might ask?
OMG!
You can make Chicken Satays, Thai Basil Rolls, Skewered Shrimp and much much more!
I cubed some chicken breast and threw it in my favorite wok with yellow and red bell pepper, along with some onion. (You could take the easy route and in your local groceries freezer section, you'll find "Bird's Eye- Stir Fry Peppers and Onion"... Super Easy)
I served the chicken and peppers over white jasmine rice,
 topped it with a heaping spoon of Peanut sauce and garnished with some
chopped Cilantro and roasted peanuts.
YUM!

So, want to know the real recipe?!? Go check it out and let Leela of She Simmers, know where you came from ;)

Happy Cooking!




Xo, Kris


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...